Friday, April 18, 2008

Reach out and touch someone

Who have you talked to from our class this week?

I chose to devote some time to just make a few phone calls instead of keeping my normal schedule and I was blessed.
I also have to say that I had a great time playing "Battlefield" on the Xbox360 with a class member last night as a result of simplying talking "outside of class". We learned that we had some things in common that we didn't know prior to talking. Who knew that we would enjoy running around a virtual battlefield shooting at one another and blowing stuff up. I can't make a "deep" theological connection on that one, but I know that I enjoyed spending time with a friend, and that my "playtime" was certainly more enjoyable with a friend than if alone on this occasion.

Alas, I won't be in class on Sunday morning as I will be singing for the worship services at River Road Presbyterian Church. I will miss you, but you are in the capable hands of Ken Woodruff, and the topic looks pretty interesting so I hope you will come prepared with open hearts and minds. Yes, that means reading the lesson, or at least the scripture before you get in the room on Sunday morning.. Shocker! I wrote a blog entry HERE this morning that may interest some of you, sort of in response to our discussion in class last week. If you have a minute, I'd love for you to share a comment in person or online.

Scripture for this week is a continuation in Acts chapter 2. You may want to start back and read all of Chapter 2 to help you remember the context for standing up, feeling empowered, and then acting.. Think about the connection to Acts 1:8 as well since it connects you to the "commission" and presents a framework for where as well as what.

Acts 2:37-47(THE MESSAGE)
37Cut to the quick, those who were there listening asked Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers! Brothers! So now what do we do?"
38 -39Peter said, "Change your life. Turn to God and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, so your sins are forgiven. Receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is targeted to you and your children, but also to all who are far away—whomever, in fact, our Master God invites."
40He went on in this vein for a long time, urging them over and over, "Get out while you can; get out of this sick and stupid culture!"
41 -42That day about three thousand took him at his word, were baptized and were signed up. They committed themselves to the teaching of the apostles, the life together, the common meal, and the prayers.
43 -45Everyone around was in awe—all those wonders and signs done through the apostles! And all the believers lived in a wonderful harmony, holding everything in common. They sold whatever they owned and pooled their resources so that each person's need was met.
46 -47They followed a daily discipline of worship in the Temple followed by meals at home, every meal a celebration, exuberant and joyful, as they praised God. People in general liked what they saw. Every day their number grew as God added those who were saved.


I hope I see you soon. Reach out and touch someone!
jeff

No comments: