Saturday, January 31, 2009

Meet Who? where, when, how, why

Hi all, Scripture for tomorow is

Isaiah 12:1-6 NRSV
You will say in that day: I will give thanks to you, O Lord, for though you were angry with me, your anger turned away, and you comforted me. Surely God is my salvation; I will trust, and will not be afraid, for the Lord God is my strength and my might; he has become my salvation. With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation. And you will say in that day: Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known his deeds among the nations; proclaim that his name is exalted. 56 Shout aloud and sing for joy, O royal Zion, for great in your midst is the Holy One of Israel. Sing praises to the Lord, for he has done gloriously; let this be known in all the earth.

Isaiah 12:1-6 MESSAGE And you will say in that day, "I thank you, God. You were angry but your anger wasn't forever. You withdrew your anger and moved in and comforted me. "Yes, indeed—God is my salvation. I trust, I won't be afraid. God—yes God!—is my strength and song, best of all, my salvation!" Joyfully you'll pull up buckets of water from the wells of salvation. And as you do it, you'll say, "Give thanks to God. Call out his name. Ask him anything! Shout to the nations, tell them what he's done, spread the news of his great reputation! "Sing praise-songs to God. He's done it all! Let the whole earth know what he's done! Raise the roof! Sing your hearts out, O Zion! The Greatest lives among you: The Holy of Israel."

Since I won't be there.. I need each of you to think about how you can contribute to the class' journey through Meeting God. Look to the Holy Spirit to work within you and treat this as a bit of a test for one another.

on accountability, resourcefulness, encouragement.. are you role models for one another?

Proposed discussion plan and starter sequence:
whoever is there.. this is your "ASSIGNMENT"

When you come to church.. Who exactly do you intend to meet?
How exactly do you "MEET" God? write up some practical examples.. maybe even personal stories. reviewing the last few weeks..

How do we worship.. review the scripture for guidance.. what else can we do?
Why do we worship.. review the scripture for guidance.. what does it say.. What else is the Holy spirit telling you right now?

Others: What role does discipline and boundaries play in your life, sports, arts? What are some of the big boundaries for Christians? How do we deal with them and what role does the worshipping community play in supporting one another through our collective failures?

Is worship between and individual and God or is it the "collective" offering of the church honoring God? is it both? and what does that mean.

I am so sorry that I won't be there to talk with you and learn from you tomorrow. I will probably miss you much more than you miss me.. ;-)

Reminder, this is what we have talked about through January..

Meeting God in Renewal Isaiah 2:1-6, 13, 20-22
Meeting God in Judgment Isaiah 5:1-13

Meeting God in the Temple Isaiah 6:1-8

Meeting God through the Spirit Isaiah 11:1-9

Meeting God through Worship Isaiah 12:1-6


BONUS ACTIVITY: What do you remember from our study this month... fill up those boards.. with thoughts, ideas.. maybe even action plans.. would love to see comments, emails on this for discussion.

Our first Make a difference Sunday is still set for April 26th but we may not be able to partner with Julie's class since this is Youth Sunday.. I am feeling convicted that we should stick with the date and find something to do.. even if it means coming to church and then "hitting the road" with our familes for service.. Wasn't my original plan, but it might be what God's plan is.. I am still praying on that one.

Sorry I won't see you tomorrow.
jeff

No comments: