Sunday, November 2, 2008

Church or Religious Club?

Ladies night is coming.. Pray for those of us trying to plan this meal.

Lesson today was a struggle for me. standing apart is not an idea that comes easily to me when I constantly preach and live this idea of inclusionary theology. When I first saw the lesson title and the scripture lesson I literally thought: "well, I had a good run..." ;-)

Little did I know that Nancy would pull it out for me today. Question I asked was " How do you know if/when to leave a church?" I think we answered it well. Your positions should never cross the line to prohibit you from loving your God and your neighbor.

For me the answer as to when to sever ties to a community/church/club is:
If membership inhibits me from accomplishing the purpose for which God has commissioned me.

Now the final question I asked was.. are we members of religious club or a church and how do we individually define the difference. That one is too much for this forum. For answers and thoughts, you'll have to come to class in the coming weeks.

No comments: