Sunday, November 16, 2008

Confession of an "Activist"

I have to be honest and confess. I was actively trying to stir you all up a bit to see what would happen and how we would function as a life community faced with volatility and opinion. I was using volatile language and emotional personal preferences to spur you into thinking about your own actions, ideas and choices. I believe that Amos was dealing with this sort of situation when he spoke out and I commend each of you for talking and listening equally. If you left thinking, then I accomplished my goal as your facilitator. If you left stirred up, a little shocked, then I accomplished my goals. I wanted to "Rock the Boat". Thanks for helping me.. all of you.

WHY?
Social activism is something I believe we should embrace as a class, but it will NOT come without a cost. maybe money, maybe reputation, time, resources, etc..
Like Amos, there will be consequences. Lots of things will be "in the air"..
  • Will we choose to sacrificially love those around us who we may not even agree with?
  • Can we love without return?
  • Do you believe that actions really speak louder than words.. If so, then why do we talk so much, and do so little...?

We can't fight all the battles or change the world. We can pray to God to inspire and direct us towards HIS work.

What is God telling you that we should be doing? now, tomorrow, next week, year, etc...
Where do you draw the line and stand up to be counted, despite the cost?

I'd like to hear...

jeff

No comments: