Monday, May 12, 2008

Abide


As we studied John 15 yesterday, we put a lot of attention on what it means to "abide in Christ" as he abides in us. This language is not typical of our culture today and presents many challenges.
I believe it is the key to understanding imperatives and actions in a Christian context.

We finished with a reaffirmation, that we are commanded to testify to what we know and believe and that we as Christians must rely on the Holy Spirit to work through us.

My personal thoughts coming out of today's class were that I should try to "abide" with my friends and family more actively. I think that means to call them or contact them once in a while just to say HI.. not because I need something, or have another purpose.. but just because they are part of my life. Visit, just to visit, call just to call, these are ideas which seem to come out of another time for me. They are no less relevant to today. I think I may have just stopped approaching my relationships this way.

I either care or I don't.. I abide with them or I don't.

Great news of the Gospel, is that Jesus will not reject us even when we don't call, write, or visit. He abides in us. We don't have to earn it. The invitation is there for us to let him carry our load, but our dependence and ego has us struggle rather than submit. We end up competing instead of collaborating and relying on our source.. our vine.. our redeemer..

No comments: